Monday, April 7, 2008

death

a former coworker has lost his son; kevin was only 9 years old.

death has always disturbed me, as i suppose it does most people. as a child, i'd work myself into a neurotic state trying to imagine what it would be like to be dead. would it hurt? would it be scary? would there really be a light? should i really go into it? is reincarnation for real? and so on...

i still wonder most of those things today. i'm less afraid to die (my dogs both did it last year, and what's good enough for them is good enough for me). the assuaged fear leaves room for the perturbing fact that some day i just won't know how things will turn out. it also leaves room for curiosity: will donna, grammy, al, bonkers and uffda really be on the other side?

i believe in ghosts (i grew up in a haunted house - really). i just don't know what ghosts are. are they really the spirit of those passed? or just some other life form made up of energy or dark matter or something that we don't yet understand?

my current hope/belief is that there is a metaphysical life after our physical death. but i'm not sold on heaven and hell. i think we all wind up at the same place. bumm'r - no escaping the jerks in the afterworld, either.

someday - maybe sooner, maybe later - we will all learn the answers of death. meantime, let us make the best of life.

rest in peace, kevin.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There really is life after death, God's son actually did walk the Earth as a man. The Bible really is God's word. How do I know this? Because of the life and soul changing experiences that have happened to me.
I knew before my conversion that there was good and evil, I just never took the time to understand it. When I was confronted with my faith (you cannot get out of bed in the morning without using faith believing the floor will be there when you put your foot down) it started a slow process of me seeing life and death in a new light. Of course the big step was believing that if I confessed my sins and believed in my heart that God raised Jesus from the dead I would be saved. (not condemned to Hell - a real place actually.) There was a physical change in me also. This change in my body can only be explained as a feeling like an empty spot in my heart was filled. I know for a non-believer what I have said above is tough to understand but, it happened and can happen to anyone who wants Eternal Life. It is one of the gifts that are offered in the Bible - the best things in life are free and this is one of them. You only need to believe and ask!