Tuesday, September 2, 2008

dogs are closer to god

a friend blogged that she's single because [oversimplifying] she likes to ride her bike too much. my first impression was that of sympathy. i'm single because i like to ride my bike. and play racquetball. and curl. and golf. and motorcycle. and climb.*

but upon further consideration, i'm single because i like most dogs better than i like most people.

i used to think dogs were great because they were always glad to see you. it didn't matter if you came home late and drunk; you were still their favorite person. they just never hold a grudge. and dogs are great for that reason. but after years of intermittent consideration, i've realized that the god-like gift of complete forgiveness is not the foremost reason i hold the canine in such high regard.

this epiphany came while listening to a k.t. tunstall song.

leave it all to me
i will do the right thing
maybe i'll be everything i need
leave it all to me
i will do the right thing
do the right thing

dogs are extraordinary not only because they generally exhibit behavior that any deity would approve of, but because they make me want to be the perfect person they treat me as. and that's the intangible quality i require in a mate: the ability to conjure such admiration that it inherently demands i be my best, selfless, self. the ability to be that person, my friends, is love.

i'm all out of love, all out of faith
i would give everything just for a taste
but everything's here, all out of place
losing my memory, losing the best of me
...saving my face

*i've come to the conclusion that i'm a sports polygamist. i really intensely love doing each one, and for very different reasons, for the very distinct ways in which each challenges my mind and body.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kim,

Why did you have to start school? Now I see all the other livers able to go out and play on Wednesday nights and we have no fun.

Have you forgotten about me?

Signed
Your Liver

Kim said...

listen up, toots.

it's not like you never get out. didn't we just have a beer last night while watching days of our lives? i know, it's not the same as having a beer with nicole and valerie's livers, but you still had a meaningful purpose.

that's it, i've had it with your lip. next wednesday, it's straight home after school!