Thursday, January 1, 2009

resolution for 2009


in 2009, i resolve to fulfill my destiny.

about thirty years ago (i was ten or so), i received a gift: the encyclopedia of cooking. the few people who know me from childhood will not be surprised by this. my grandmother was a renowned (locally, anyway) cook and baker. at a tender age, i was stirring the fudge, rolling out the cookie dough, mashing potatoes, and measuring teaspoons by hand. i was being groomed to continue the legacy.

fast forward to 2008. my grandmother would roll over in her grave if she knew how little i cook.

i happened to dig the 18 volume set out from the attic last summer because i was remodeling. instead of putting the boxed up books in the basement, i placed the books in my kitchen. i knew it was time to pick up where i'd left off so many years ago.

in 2009, i resolve to make one dish from each volume of my encyclopedia of cooking.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

That's an awesome resolution. If you're looking for a sous chef, let me know.

Kim said...

You're on!