Sunday, August 24, 2008

another year wiser


i had a birthday this week. i have successfully completed ** years on planet earth. good job me.

i have an affable yet unconcerned attitude toward birthdays. my mommy no longer bakes me a cake*, so there isn't much reason to get too worked up. nonetheless, i do have one unfailing tradition. i take the day off of work. my reasoning is, if i don't have to work on jesus' birthday, i don't have to work on mine.

birthdays are a personal inventory time for me. sort of like my own new year's day. i look back at the big ticket items for the past year: i went somewhere new (seattle); participated in some bonspiels, bike races, racquetball tournaments and golf tournaments; volunteered at women venture; did some home improvements; worked enough to stay financially solvent; took a residential wiring class; completed my 2007 resolution to eat at an alphabet of new restaurants; missed my deadline to get barnithebus.com up and running.

all in all, a good year.

and of course, i also look forward. for the coming year, i'd like to: go somewhere new; compete; volunteer; finish the upstairs remodeling; go live with barni the bus; maintain my weight over the winter months; go to a seminar; take a class; have friends over for dinner once a month; get puppies.

nothing left to do but make it so.

*this seemed to stop around the time where i got too old to blow out all my candles anymore. :-\
**42

3 comments:

Janet said...

Happy birthday!

Snakebite said...

Happy frickin' birthday!!!

Are you sure on the puppy thing?

Ride fast, take chances said...

Happy Birthday! I should have mentioned it in person.