Wednesday, August 20, 2008

meaning from abstraction

do you ever stop to consider all of the assumptions we have in the world that allow us to function? just the other day, i wrote down my name. based on that simple action, i got a bunch of tangible, useful items in return.

think about this for a bit. i flexed the muscles in my hand - while holding a pen and touching it to paper - and somebody gave me some valuable stuff. how abstract is that?

the other day i gave blood. again, i had to move my hand in a prescribed manner, to give my solemn oath that i have not indulged in any bad behavior which may have tainted the vital fluids somebody else may need.

what is so special about a signature? you are merely writing your name. anybody could do it, even a monkey. yet the power of a signature is staggering. scribbling out the letters to my name (in proper order, of course) got me the house i live in. scrawling out someone else's name could send me to jail.

very abstract, indeed.

No comments: